Friday, July 01, 2005

If nominated, I would serve

Justice Sandra Day O'Connor resigned from the U.S. Supreme Court a few minutes ago. I have not yet heard from President Bush or his staff, but I am prepared to enter serious discussions regarding my potential nomination to replace her.

Candidly, we have much in common:
  • She is from Arizona; I have visited Arizona.
  • She is a lawyer; I am a lawyer.
  • She is a centrist; I am a centrist.
  • She was nominated by President Reagan; I remember President Reagan.
But here is the kicker difference: She is 75 years old; I am 35 years old. If President Bush wants to shape the court into the middle of the century, I am his guy.

Oh, sure. There are weaknesses in my candidacy. I have no direct judicial experience (although I did serve as a clerk to an appellate judge). I have written very few scholarly papers. I have a number of skeletons in my closet. But when it comes down to it, I am a lifelong Republican, and--in the immortal words of the fictional Jack Handy-- "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

I will try to keep my phone line open.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rand Simmons said...

It is true that you would not upset the balance on the court. I can vouch that as a dedicated Centrist, you are absolutely unafraid to take positions on both sides of any given issue...

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home