Wednesday, October 19, 2005

One step closer to global domination

You all thought I was just being clever, right?

This morning, the shareholders at my firm offered me the opportunity to become an owner. In the old days before professional corporations, this was called "making partner."

Congratulations rained down--this has happened to an associate only once before in the 11-year history of this iteration of the firm--but the managing shareholder just shook his head. "Condolences might be more appropriate," he said. "But it will take you a couple of months to figure that out, so you might as well enjoy it while you can."

The managing shareholder is the only other guy who has ever been promoted here, and he was joking. Mostly. The one thing that will change clearly is that my compensation will be dictated directly by (i) my personal production and (ii) the firm's control of overhead. If I work myself hard and the employees (sounds odd, no?) efficiently--neither of which would be characterized as "fun"--then I have the opportunity to grow wealthy.

I expected this to happen--if you work hard and are nice to people, good things eventually will happen--but it came a bit earlier than I thought it might. I can live with that. I am a very lucky guy.

My beloved spouse sent congratulatory flowers and is taking me out to dinner. At least until tomorrow, I am going to enjoy the feeling.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Derek. You've earned it!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home