Saturday, January 28, 2006

Carter Franke update, Part VI

"So the guy does not blog for seven weeks, and he comes back only to complain about junk mail?"

Yes--this is who I am. Deal with it.

The sad fact is that the pile was getting too tall to ignore. Since my last post on this topic, October 12, 2005, I had accumulated an additional 44 credit card offers. Sadly, no magnets or other potential toys; just offers of low, low rates, partially fixed, then floating, laden with incentives such as cash back (within certain parameters), frequent flier miles, and the opportunity to show my school spirit.

That last one, from the KU Alumni Association, was painful. I am all about school spirit, but those folks already send me enough junk mail without credit card offers--and I already send the school money in outright gifts. Is it reasonable to expect a part of my interest-payment pie as well? Hmmmmm.

My plan is to continue counting until July 2, 2006, when I will try the opt-out programs occasionally advertised in tiny print at the bottom of mailers to see whether they are flagrantly fraudulent or merely misleading. For now, this is the way it looks:

Current standings:
Pat W. Johnston (Capital One): 34 letters (and six magnets!)
Carter Franke (Chase): 29 letters
Janine D. Marrone (MNBA): 15 letters Susan Sobbott (American Express): 13 letters
Matthew McKenna (Bank of America): 5 letters
Thrivent Financial Bank, GM, Jeep, Sallie Mae, JC Penney, State Farm, Disney, Citi, and --sadly--the KU Alumni Association (Other): 16 letters

Combined Total since July 2, 2005: 112 offers

7 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Million Simmons said...

As I blithely toss all my offers into the trash I think, "Only 112? It seems like so much more than that..." I'll leave the counting to you, dear B-I-L.

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fun is taking the stuffings they send, writing NO on it, and returning it in their postage paid envelope.
Mailed a dozen a couple days ago!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Rand Simmons said...

"fragrantly" or perhaps "flagrantly?"

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, son, we have a shredder just for this purpose. Nice toy. But here the phone calls outnumber the mail. Today I took a call that explained what was offered, then said to speak to an associate, press one. I did, and heard another electronic voice say, "All associates are now busy, please hold." Followed closely by, "To speak with an associate, press one." I did, ahd heard "We are now closed, please call back during business hours." Mom

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried the "opt-out" route but Susan (American Express) just keeps right on sending the offers over. Hope you have better luck than I.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Pat W. Johnston club of Capital One. I called and requested to speak with Pat. Seems no one knows Pat - the Director of New Accounts. I suspect Pat doesn't even exist. Is this truth in lending I ask?!

While the weekly 'get this for that' postal mails are annoying, invasiveness prevails in the fact that Capital One checks my credit status twice - YES TWICE - a month!

Per a Capital One service rep, this 'soft credit inquiry' does not affect my credit rating. I beg to differ. My husband and I have exceptionally high credit ratings but his, several points higher than mine. The ONLY difference in our reports is the regular inquiries to my credit by Capital One.

Don't be fooled. These inquiries do count and unless you have requested information from Capital One, no credit card company or lender should need bi-monthly updates.

I've opted out at 1-888-5-OPT-OUT and am waiting to see if the Feds really enforce this law.

Advice - use your free annual credit report check and respond to these credit mongers who want you to have good credit while they help you degrade it!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrible scam letter.
Capital One's false, fraudulent attempt to sign people on for 5.99% fixed balance transfer for life!
No one has gotten that rate from them! Not ONE person! They have no intention of giving anyone that rate. It should be against the law! There should be a class action suite! Thousands of people have had their credit scores ruined by these mongers!!
Where is George Bailey? (from Its a wonderful life)Where are the George Baileys of the world? This country needs them! NOW!!!
Why can't we have a 5.99% fixed APR to help us!!!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home